4/27/2024 3:53:51 AM
Create an account to submit scores and save your stats
PlayItOnTheWeb Community Forum

Discussion Forums

Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
You must be logged in and level 5 or higher to post.
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Site Discussion
 DMCA
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  19:08:10    Reply with Quote
DMCA complaint received from lawyers of Nintendo. (1st ever DMCA in the history of this website, though in the past I have removed content at the request of individual copyright holders who contacted me privately)

As most of you know, I did not personally create the vast majority (99.999%) of the games on this website, they were created by thousands of different programmers. The Safe Harbor provision of the DMCA protects this website as a publisher of content created by the community, as long as I the administrator comply with any DMCA complaints reporting infringing material.

I had no choice but to remove the fan-games created by many different flash game developers (116 games total) because they contain content infringing on Nintendo's trademarks and copyrighted material. Nintendo is totally within their rights to prevent infringement of their intellectual property. So I have complied fully.

I will shed a tear, but then life must go on. It was less than 1% of the games published here, after all. But I'm sure a lot of you would quickly notice, and you deserve an explanation.

I am not on this website daily any more, but it holds a special place in my heart and I want to keep it running forever if I can. At strange times, I find myself returning here to play an old favorite or try to beat an old score. So I have always tried to keep this website on the up-and-up and legit, so that it will last, and that will continue. Life goes on!

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  19:19:10    Reply with Quote
For the record, *some* companies / holders of intellectual property, *do* allow "fan fiction" and other derivative works created by the fan community in a spirit of admiration. And some do not.

Technically, companies have to be vigilant about protecting their intellectual property or they could risk losing it, so don't blame Nintendo too harshly.

Some companies choose to allow fan works despite the risk, which is totally awesome. Sad to find out that Nintendo does not, but then they are a very large and very old company.
Go to Top of Page

toast

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
537 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  15:54:19    Reply with Quote
Thank-You for taking the time to explain what had happened, and the legal reasons behind your decision, which is of course the -right- thing to do. *salutes*.
Although its a shame that its come to this point. I cant help but -think- that someone with a -grudge- is behind making the complaints *raises the eagle to aim and shoot*...

None the less, as you rightly say, -Life Goes On-, and so does this amazing site, -regardless- of -whoever- with -whatever- grudges they had. It matters not =]

I fully appreciate the legal side of things, in order to remain compliant, which is admirable. It doesn't matter about a few scores being lost here and there. What matters is, the heart and soul behind this place, to keep it going out of love and dedication, and for that alone, -I- for one am grateful to you Haplo, as a fully fledged addict and disciple of PIOTW =]

"Thank-You" x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: