3/29/2024 1:20:33 AM
Create an account to submit scores and save your stats
PlayItOnTheWeb Community Forum

Discussion Forums

Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
You must be logged in and level 5 or higher to post.
 All Forums
 Development Forums
 Help / Bug Reports
 Flash Player
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  00:03:18    Reply with Quote
It has come to my attention that Flash Player will go the way of the dodo on Jan 31, 2021. My understanding is that at least some of the games here that I love use Flash Player, and it is going to be defunct. Completely, as in not just not supported, but eliminated. Am I right? Will some of the games no longer work, ever. Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks.

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  00:21:26    Reply with Quote
I got a message from adobe that it will not be supported any longer. so i hope that the current version will still work with this version of firefox that i intend to keep the way it is now.
without a working flashplayer we all can say goodbye to piotw...for as far as i know, the games wont even start without flashplayer
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  01:02:46    Reply with Quote
idk...perhaps somebody still is in contact with haplo an can try to persuade him to have a look at this problem?
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  21:58:49    Reply with Quote
Appreciate your input. I am afraid that it is not just that it isn't supported, but that it will be terminated completely. Not sure why. Maybe it is a security hazard? Anyway, maybe some games will still work IDK. If only there were a patch to another platform, some way a newer and different platform could incorporate Flash Player for games and other things that still use it. The games are so good that it really is a shame that they would be obsolete in a few months forever. I have no idea how to contact Haplo, but I wonder if the problem is not PIOTW but instead inside each and every game that uses Flash Player.
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  22:12:13    Reply with Quote
I found the following on a blog. "Most businesses have migrated their Flash content to other technologies, mostly HTML5. " So, maybe the games can be used on HTML5 if it is possible to access them that way. What is supposed to happen is that as your browser auto-updates after 2020, it will remove Flash Player. So, you have to prevent it from auto-updating, which is something I don't know how to do, or think is a good thing to do. And, how long can you go without getting updates from your browser and expect it to still work properly for everything else? Also from the same blog, Upsidelearning dot com is: Though browsers have added some restrictions, they are still supporting Flash Player. These major browser vendors will release new versions to remove Flash support. So if users don?t update their browsers, they will still be able to run Flash.

Individual users will have to prevent their browsers from auto updating. If they can?t do this with some browsers, they can preserve old versions of Firefox (freely available open source and allows download of previous versions). They also need to preserve Flash Player plugin. "

But, it would be fantastic if another technology could access and run the games that are using Flash Player. I think contacting Haplo is a fantastic idea as he would be the best one to know. But, I have no idea where, or who he is or how to reach him.

Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2020 :  21:28:50    Reply with Quote
just yesterday i got a reminder from adobe that asked me to terminate the flash player completeley or, if i still have need for it, to keep it. And thats exactly what i intend to do. I have firefox only for piotw and it doesn't auto-update. It always asks if it should...
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  15:26:24    Reply with Quote
It is very good that you will be able to access games that may be unable to be played without Flashplayer. I am still using an old IE and it asks if I should upgrade to Microsoft Edge, which I will not do so long as I can play these games. However, it is not a permanent solution because who knows about everyone else. And, half the fun on here are the player challenges, the missions, the gauntlet and the tournaments. So we need everyone else, too. And, how will we get new players who want to join if they have already upgraded? I did look on a WhoIs search and I found out that our domain name is good until 2024, so we should have that long at least to play the games. The registrant is a company with a FL address that I am not familiar with, so perhaps, if later it is necessary, we could contact them and see if they can do any sort of upgrade to make the games playable for everyone, FP or not. Their contact address is on a WhoIs search, and I am guessing their customer might have PIOTW? They could get a message thru for us, if we need, maybe. Plus, I saw Haplo's email address on one of your past forum posts. He has not replied to my email on here, so maybe that would work, too. He has not been here for 2 years according to his profile. So, hopefully everyone who is playing now will continue to play and not lose their FP (or their machines, because new computers won't have the old platforms). That's what I'll hope for anyway, and then try some of the other strategies I just mentioned to reach someone who might could help if I see that people can't get on and play after this year. I know next to nothing about IT or programming so I don't know if it is even possible to play games using FlashPlayer with any other platform.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2020 :  11:43:29    Reply with Quote
Why is it, that we are the only players who seem to be concerned about this?
Just wondering....
Go to Top of Page

dette57

L90 Legend
Forum Beginner
8 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  00:44:22    Reply with Quote
I have been getting the same notices about flash daily. I just ignore them. Then tonight I sign in and all games have a blank screen telling me to click to turn on flash. The thing is nothing happens. If this is the finale I will hate to say goodbye to this game site. I like it because it has a lot of the old GRAB games. Hoping this is just a glitch and my games will be back tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  23:58:26    Reply with Quote
Tonight I saw, on Adobe's site, the following, "Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021," It then goes on to tell me to uninstall the program. I am afraid that on Jan 12, we won't be able to play any games on this site that use Flash Player. I don't know if that is all games, or if some will still work. It is very troublesome because I looked at other game sites in preparation for this one not working, and I don't like any of them at all. Either they don't have games that look good, the games are very juvenile, or the site is so full of ads and other problems that it either doesn't work, or is a pain to put up with. If anyone finds an alternative site to this one, assuming Flash Player stops this one, please post here and let us all know. One thing we can try is to contact the registrar of the game site, which we can find on a WhoIs search, and see if they will forward our request on to their customer to enable us to play the games once Flash Player is gone. Can this even be done? If a game uses Flash Player is it possible, at all, to convert it to a current program? I am so clueless when it comes to IT stuff. And, yes, Farah111, I have no idea why no one else seems to be concerned about this. It appears none of us are going to get our fix if FlashPlayer blocks all programs that use it.
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2020 :  00:23:46    Reply with Quote
Tonight, I found two maybe, maybe, possible options to FlashPlayer. BlueMaxima's Flashpoint software, and also HTML 5. As I am clueless on this sort of thing, I am thinking they won't save the games we love, the ones that are five, ten, fifteen years old. I found Zirch on Kongregate game site, but when I clicked on it, it said to turn on FlashPlayer. Therefore, other sites won't be playing our games either. Will we have to find recently created ones? And will anyone re-create the good ones? I read that Flashpoint has archived, or saved many games, but I doubt any are the ones I love here - the memory games, Zirch, Dumbstruck, ShapeMatch, Inwords, jigsaw puzzles, etc. Can you use HTML 5 for FP, or is that simply the platform for the newly created games, and won't run the old ones? With Flashpoint, you have to download the software, and probably download the game, too, if it even has any of the games here.. Even if any of this were to work, and even if I were able to download and keep the games, I will really, really, really miss our Gauntlet, Tournaments, Player Challenges and Missions. Seeing who did what game and who has the highest scores and competing on the games. What am I going to do come January?
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2020 :  00:06:43    Reply with Quote
I'm thinking that we do not have to leave PlayItOnTheWeb because of Flashplayer as long as PIOTW continues to accept new games that are compelling enough to be worth playing and competing. That's the good news (actually great news because I love PIOTW's gaming platform and competitions and challenges). The bad news is that if you love a game that uses FlashPlayer, you'll probably lose it forever no matter where it is on the web. It's not going to work anywhere. Here is a way you can ask to have it archived, though. Not sure if it will work, or get archived, but if you're addicted to it, it is worth trying. Unfortunately, I suspect there won't be a way to compete with others on these archived games, but at least, if this works, you'd still be able to play them on your own. Here is a request form for your favorite games to be archived. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdd9ifSu_anYKMKE280c3Y3dkmuEApr5N6gKnAmTvKh0F5txA/viewform. Let's hope it works, and, better yet that new and very varied games will continue to be submitted to our site here so that all of us will find new favorites that are as good as the ones we'll lose.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  10:08:25    Reply with Quote
hmmm...without the competition....nah!
What kind of bull**** is it anyway to withdraw an engine like flash player and don't offer a proper alternative?
To my experience all the games here on piotw need flash player....
at least all games I play that is
Go to Top of Page

dette57

L90 Legend
Forum Beginner
8 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2020 :  17:55:55    Reply with Quote
If anyone hears of a solution from PIOTW I am interested to hear it. I will be so sad to lose my favorite games but MAYBE I could get into something new. Does anyone remember Text Twist? You can still find it here and there but it is not the same and none of the sites keep up with the scores. I always loved that game. Merry Christmas to everyone.
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2020 :  00:19:43    Reply with Quote
I absolutely loved Text Twist! It is very similar to Dumbstruck here on PIOTW, if I recall. I do so hope we can all find our favorite games again, and really wish we could continue to compete with our scores like we do here. And, its not like it is this site or anything. It is FlashPlayer on all the sites, all the games that have been out up until now. PIOTW is the best site, by far, of all the ones I recently tried, but all the sites with the games are probably also using FP, so their games will go away too, if ours do. We might could all try to contact the site via the contact link here. I do not know if anyone has contact with Haplo, but if they do, I would love to hear his ideas. As Farah says, what kind of bull is it to pull FlashPlayer without a proper alternative? There are thousands and thousands of excellent games that seem to be totally lost. If technology can do some of the things I've seen it do, why can't Flash Player be fixed, upgraded or replaced? Is it really that hard for people who have the knowledge and experience? Must be or we wouldn't be seeing the messages we're seeing from FP. I have one more hope, however long odds it is, and that is that people will create games the same as the ones we love but using HTML5 or another platform, and that they will submit these gams to PIOTW. If a game maker can make Dumbstruck, memory games, mahjohngg games, word games, matching games, shooting games, math games, tetris games, etc, then maybe these same game makers can make them anew with the current platforms for us to play them here.
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2020 :  00:50:03    Reply with Quote
I found a list of a few games that use HTML5 and I tried the bubble one. It works great. Has some ads you have to click thru, kind of like YouTube, but not too bad, and the games are free. Plus the bubble one, at least, keeps your high score. Now, if we could submit these games to PIOTW just as they are we could start to collect ones that will work in the coming years. I do not know if it is something I or you could do since we did not create these games. And, when you go to submit one, there is a message that PIOTW is not accepting any new games (don't know why; it seems it posts new ones each week). But if so, we can continue to keep the site and community here and, hopefully, find many more games similar to the ones we love the most. Here is the link to the 12 or so games I found that can just be played on any browser. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/html5-browser-games-flash/ . If they can just get added here, we can play them an incorporate them into the gauntlet, tournaments, player challenges, etc.
Go to Top of Page

dette57

L90 Legend
Forum Beginner
8 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  00:21:27    Reply with Quote
Thanks for the list of games that can be played now. I will try to check that out in a bit. Just wanted to toss in that FB has shut down a bunch of games because of this too. We will find something we can play. I agree it isn't any fun without the tournaments and challenges. We will find something!!!
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  21:24:27    Reply with Quote
"Since Adobe is no longer supporting Flash Player after the EOL [end-of-life] Date, Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021 to help secure users? systems. Flash Player may remain on the user?s system unless the user uninstalls it." ...from Adobe's Homepage. My hope goes with the last part. So, maybe, if i don't allow Firefox to update....it might still run. Hope dies last....
Go to Top of Page

pinkspoonbill

L92 Legend
Forum Novice
21 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2021 :  00:56:12    Reply with Quote
Yes, that has been my hope too, since you first mentioned it beforehand. I didn't see that last part you just typed now, though, and have been pretty sure we're screwed as of Jan 12. However, maybe not. I'm not going to update Internet Explorer either until I no longer have flash player. So far, in prep, what I have done is find my favorite games here, maybe I found 50 or so, and submitted them to the collection of hundreds of thousands of games people are trying to archive. I have the link to this further up in this thread. Problem is that the games need to be curated before they can be saved w o flashplayer, and I was unable to figure out how to do that, partly because my machine did not seem powerful enough to handle all the data. I was unable to try to curate any game without havng to restart the machine. I'm hoping someone will eventually save all these games. There's too much good stuff to lose forever.
Another thing I did was look for more games elsewhere and I found a few that use HTML 5 that are fun. Trouble is, I only found a few, and only a few gamesites that didn't use ads too annoying or intrusive. I hope to review my favorites, look for more and post them all right here sometime next week. That way, ya'll will be able to enjoy them too. Another problem is I only found a few games of a few of my favorite genres. So, I'm still going to be bereft of some of the types of games I love. And some sites don't let you use full screen, which cuts down on enjoyment, too. I have tried, to no avail, to contac this site's help via the help link. I've gotten no response from anyone when I place a help request. Also, and this makes me really unhappy, I was unable to submit any new games to PIOTW. I found a really cool 3D mahjonng connect type game I really like on HTML5. But, when I want to submit it here, there's a message that PIOTW is not accepting any new games, nor can I request via "help". If we could just request new games, we could all go find our new favorites using other platforms and get them on here. There is one more thing I am hoping to try, in conjunction with finding new favorites hat don't use Flash. And that is to contact the registrant of playitontheweb dot com, this site. I found the registrant using a Who Is search on this dot com site and there is an email address for that registrant, who, I'm pretty sure is the provider for the person responsible for this site, the person who paid to have this site up and running. So, that's the last way I can think of to reach someone who might be able to allow us to put more games on here, or enlighten us about our current ones. This site, according to WhoIs is valid until the year 2024. So, our actual site should still work even if the FP games do not. If we can get new games on, we can keep our community here, I'd think. I think, in general, it is really tragic to lose so many hundreds of thousands of games and other programs permanently b c of FlashPlayer's loss. Can't there be a way to fix the insecurity of it? After all people can do tech-wise, you'd think someone could patch it or replace it and keep the programs going. You'd think they'd find a way to be lucrative about it, too, what with so many programs able to be saved. As far as money goes, this site is incredible seeing how many hours I have whiled away here and haven't paid a dime, and haven't had many ads at all. Pretty incredible and it is and was gift to all of us from whoever put this together and kept it going for so many years, probably Haplo. I can't fault him if he isn't answering now since I've gotten so much for free for so long. Hopefully 2021 will be better than 2020 and include games on this site. If anyone wants to keep in touch with me and share game site links in case we find good ones if we can't use this one, send me a message here. I'm afraid I won't be able to get in touch with anyone here after Jan 12 if other users or myself lose FP. Too long of a reply here. I'll get back with you when I find good HTML games and see if I can reach anyone through the registrant of our site.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  22:34:25    Reply with Quote
Apocalypse has come over us...so it seems. EVERYTHING is blocked. Trying to contact Adobe...
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2021 :  06:05:32    Reply with Quote
Okay...I've tried to get help via Adobe. Of course they could not help....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: