4/25/2024 1:30:48 AM
Create an account to submit scores and save your stats
PlayItOnTheWeb Community Forum

Discussion Forums

Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
You must be logged in and level 5 or higher to post.
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Site Discussion
 Thoughts on the Gauntlet, etc.
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  22:15:08    Reply with Quote
So, for anyone who's curious I'm gonna tell you how the "goal" is/was calculated for Daily Challenges/Gauntlet. So before (with Daily Challenges), it took the highest all-time high score, cut it in half, then dropped all but the most significant digit. So if the top all-time score for a game was, say, 15000 points, it would cut it in half (7500), then turn all digits into zero except the first (7000).

The way it calculated for "low-score" games is more complicated, but similar. And all daily challenge goals were calculated the same way (though it would double the score for low-score games instead of cutting it in half, so if the top score was -25, then the goal would be -50).

Now (with the Gauntlet), the formula is the same but I changed the constant multiplier because of the three tiers. So it still takes the top score, and multiplies it by something to get what the goal should be, but instead of that multiplier being always 1/2 (one-half or 0.5), now it varies by tier: first tier is 1/3 (one-third), second tier is 2/3 (two-thirds), third tier is 3/3 (three-thirds, or one, or 100%).

Thus, Tier 1 gauntlet stages will have a goal that is roughly one-third of the top all-time high score. Tier 2 gauntlet stages will have a goal that is roughly two-thirds of the top all-time high score. And tier 3 gauntlet stages will have a goal of beating the top score, period. Roughly.

I say roughly, because remember it drops the most significant digit. So if a game is chosen for the Tier 3 gauntlet, and the top score is 500, then the goal will indeed be 500 that you have to match or beat. However, if the top score is 450, then it drops all but the first digit so the goal would be 400. Regardless, Tier 3 gauntlet stages are very challenging. (Side note: they will become much easier within a couple of weeks because of what I'm going to tell you next. To be continued...)

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  22:25:56    Reply with Quote
So, sometime this month, we are indeed going to proceed with deleting the vast majority of saved high scores, across the board. The anti-cheating system works even better than I had hoped. It is receiving great validating data from what seems like 99% of high scores submitted over the last week or so. I don't want to go into the details very much, but basically we're at the point where I can flip a switch and those 1% of scores it can't validate can just be rejected outright before they are even saved.

So I've decided we're not going to erase all high scores period. I'm going to let the anti-cheating system (which I've personally nicknamed "sentinel" so I guess we can call it that) -- I'm going to let it run for a week or two, and then erase all high scores that don't have that sentinel data attached to them so they are validated as being legit.

The reason this is better is because the site might freak out if there's no high scores saved at all -- like when it tries to generate daily challenges/gauntlet stages, how does it select a game and calculate what the goal should be if there aren't any scores.

So, bottom line is the scores you are submitting right now will NOT be deleted because they already have sentinel validation data associated with them and I can see they are legit. Rather, in a week or so I am going to delete all scores which do not have that validation data. So 99% of scores on the site will disappear, but the ones you are doing right now will still be around.

Oh yeah, and when all those scores disappear, suddenly the gauntlet will be MUCH easier. Until all the games have tough scores again.

Probably a week or so from now. POOF. Winter is coming, or something. Etc. lol
Go to Top of Page

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  22:29:59    Reply with Quote
Also, I haven't forgotten about my promise to add some new achievements, that is probably gonna happen in the next couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  15:06:17    Reply with Quote
How about a new set of runes, haplo? I would love to create them for you. You only have to give me the parameters.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: