4/16/2024 8:54:23 AM
Create an account to submit scores and save your stats
PlayItOnTheWeb Community Forum

Discussion Forums

Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
You must be logged in and level 5 or higher to post.
 All Forums
 Development Forums
 Help / Bug Reports
 Very Big Problem, Mr. Haplo!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  20:53:51    Reply with Quote
You have made some changes to secure the server?
Now I can't access piotw via my favorit browser (safari)
I feel the very strong urge to curse like a sailor, Mr. Haplo!
Now I have to use this f******* firefox browser. And firefox does not work properly with all the items of piotw. For example I can't access the 'missions'-site.

It is not possible to update my browser because my OS is too old. And I can't update my OS because my computer is too old. And I can't buy a new computer because I have no money for it.
Can you PLEASE see to it, that I have access to piotw via safari 4.1.3

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  21:28:04    Reply with Quote
Can you go to this website, and take a screenshot of what it says? https://www.howsmyssl.com/
That will give me more specific info about why your browser is having an issue.

Either post the screenshot here or email it to me -- haplo@prx.us

Or you can just copy/paste the text if you don't know how to take a screenshot
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  22:12:09    Reply with Quote
If sent 2 mail to your addy. One for safari, one for firefox.
Go to Top of Page

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  14:39:28    Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, Safari 4.1.3 is 7 years out of date -- I hope you don't use that browser for anything besides PIOTW because it's very insecure to be surfing the web with a browser that out of date! Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything I can do about this particular issue, the new security measures are part of the anti-cheating system and PIOTW needs it so it is going to stay.

Regarding your Firefox issue, I have a couple thoughts. One -- maybe if you play with the zoom it won't cover up the buttons like that? Trying using CTRL-0 (zero) to reset your zoom, or hold CTRL and roll the mouse wheel down to decrease the zoom. If that doesn't fix the problem, can you send me a screenshot of your entire screen as it appears when the buttons are covered? The whole firefox window so I can get an idea of your screen resolution and other details.

In the meantime, until we get that figured out for you, you can access the various competition pages from the sitemap: https://www.playitontheweb.com/sitemap
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  18:43:21    Reply with Quote
No, it's okay. It appeared to be a zooming problem. I now have access to the pages.
The main problem is: Firefox is so very slow on piotw. It makes my old machine heat up like hell. It even has caused my computer to shut down on some games (because of the heat). I desperately need to have access via my old safari. On firefox I can't take part in the competitions any more.... *hmpf!*
Go to Top of Page

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  19:16:43    Reply with Quote
As I make changes to the site I'm trying to speed things up here and there, but that's a gradual process not a short term solution. I'll give it some thought and see if I can come up with something better. By the way, have you tried Chrome? In the past I've found that it's usually faster than Firefox but that varies from computer to computer.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  20:55:12    Reply with Quote
If you can find me a version of chrome that works with my old OS, I would give it a try. I could not find any to download. My OS is MAC OS 10.4.11
german or english version, doesn't matter.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  20:57:39    Reply with Quote
Ah...and thank you VERY much for trying to help. *huggs*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: