3/28/2024 7:17:31 AM
Create an account to submit scores and save your stats
PlayItOnTheWeb Community Forum

Discussion Forums

Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
You must be logged in and level 5 or higher to post.
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Site Discussion
 Planned Updates
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  01:00:20    Reply with Quote
This is my wishlist for other updates I'd like to get done in December. I probably won't get all of these but I'd like to hit as many of them as I can:

• Add a Yearly version of the Ladder page. Maybe get rid of the monthly, maybe keep it.

• Make it so that the qualifiers for Tournaments (Beginner, Advanced, Expert) reset every year on January 1 so each year everyone gets to participate in all the tournaments for a little while (but most active players will probably be back to advanced by February). You would not lose your tournament awards, but rather only the awards earned in the current year would count for which brackets you were restricted to.

• Revamp the lottery tickets. Make it so instead of the max being 20 always (how it is now, it won't let you buy more than that), rather make it so you can't buy more if you already own more than 50% of the outstanding tickets. Change to 4 digit tickets numbers instead of 3, and instead of a flat 0.1% chance per ticket, make it so there is always a winner each drawing (with chance = 1/# of tickets outstanding among all players). Then make the drawings farther apart since there is a guaranteed winner each time (probably every 48-72 hours or so).

• After the lottery tickets are revamped, add a new weekly mission to buy the most lottery tickets since there will be no cap on how many you can have.

• Look for games that would make good candidates for Achievements (High Score category) since there is at least 1 achievement in that category that you can't get anymore since the game no longer exists (was broken and had to be deleted)

• Possibly add a way to buy gold with real money (micro transactions) as a way to support the site

The last one I'm not sure about, but I think it might be a good thing for PIOTW in the long run. PlayItOnTheWeb has always been 100% free for players, with its only revenue source being ads (mostly google adsense). Although this worked quite well in the beginning of the site, part of the reason I haven't always been around the last couple of years especially is because the site only makes around $100 a month from ads now, which is enough to pay for the server but that's about it, so I have to have a normal job (booooo) and of course as a human being I want some kind of a social life etc. Although I love this place and it has always been my greatest creation, and want to keep it running forever if I can, sometimes like everybody does I get busy with life and this place slips from my mind for a while. So anyway, another revenue source might help the site be more profitable and let me devote more time to it, or at least ensure it's long-term survival.

Well, I'm curious of everyone's opinion about the suggested improvements, and about this last thing specifically. It's perfectly legal to sell virtual gold because it can't be converted back into dollars so it doesn't run afoul of gambling laws. And I would never sell any of the awards of any kind, or achievements, etc. (I could sell like a "premium membership" that gets rid of the ads, and the most active/dedicated players might buy it to support the site, but that's like a couple dozen players at the most so it would be pointless as a one-time sale and I wouldn't ask you guys to pay for a monthly or yearly membership. So I don't like that idea.)

So buy selling gold in a few different packages, it would only affect a small portion of the rewards/accomplishments of the site (gold only, no awards/achievements/levels/etc), yet it *would* allow some new players to get a leg up if they wanted to make it easier to catch up to the people that have been here for years and have tons of gold. And who knows, actually I think it probably wouldn't even be used that much, I don't expect to make a fortune off of it or anything. But I am asking all of you for opinion because without you, the players, this site wouldn't exist -- and I don't want to diminish your accomplishments by letting people "pay-to-win" something (even if it's just gold) unless most of you seem okay with it being set up reasonably. So please give me your honest opinion about whether you feel this would diminish what you've accomplished, and whether you think it would be worth it for the long term health of the site to give it another revenue source. And if you strongly dislike it maybe make a suggestion for how to tweak it so it would be more tolerable? Or if you're dead set against it and hate the idea in any form, feel free to say that too.

Thanks so much guys for your time, those of you that take the time to read the forum and contribute / participate in the discussion, I really really appreciate it. Thank you!!!

Edit: I know there has been a lot of tension among some of you for a while, and I know that my absence has made it worse. I also know a lot of bad stuff happened in the past that I missed because I wasn't here, and both this site and you the players suffered for it. I can't change the past, and I'm not trying to ignore the "elephant in the room" so to speak, but I think the best thing I can do is try to put more effort in and focus on the positive and do what I can in the present to try to make this site better for everyone if I can. So that's what I'm gonna try to do, and that's why I made this post to hopefully give everybody some positive stuff to look forward to in the near future.

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  09:39:57    Reply with Quote
It will take me that long to figure out what you just said.
Go to Top of Page

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  09:47:25    Reply with Quote
Have to do this the Ben Franklin way..thinking about it.
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  11:30:59    Reply with Quote
-I've always been kinda proud to tell my buddies that I have found a gaming site that is totally free.
-And, to be honest, there are no new games on this site. At least those games that appear in the tournaments are always (more or less) the same. and the games on the 'play' site are ?lways the same, too.
-And, with all that so called anti-cheating stuff...you would have to erase some of the games.
-Oh...and I'm also completely against this lottery-ticket idea. We have enough missions where you can 'buy' your leadership award.
-The amount of the leadership awards could also be a new achievement.
-I really hope you create new achievemnts. (At least new games)
-Does this 'share a game on facebook' quest really work? I don't ever see anybody get rewarded for that. As far as I am concerned, this quest can be erased

Well, I hope, these thoughts will help.

Edited by - farah111 on 11/18/2017 11:31:50
Go to Top of Page

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  03:10:44    Reply with Quote
I think when you start talking about the site possibly not being "free" will discourage many players. I understand the site has expenses and I'm not clear as to what your definition of "reasonably" would be. Could you explain? I agree with Farah regarding the paying to buy leadership awards. I've never really cared for that and felt it wasn't truly earning an award. Having a certain amount of awards as an Achievement sounds like a great idea. I have watched this site transition from the old one and have truly been amazed at your accomplishments. I also understand you have certain demands to meet as we all do.
Go to Top of Page

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  10:06:54    Reply with Quote
Maybe I didn't explain well. I'm not at all proposing that the site not be free. It will always be 100% free to play the games here. I'm just thinking of maybe making it so that you can buy 5,000 gold for a dollar (or something similar). You absolutely would not be required to pay anything, ever. You could always earn the gold slowly by completing quests and challenges and such just as before. It's just that rather than it taking a year and tons and tons of effort to buy the gold shop items (especially rings and swords), a new player could buy some gold and get a head start. Or they could pay nothing and just wait until they earned the gold slowly over time same as before.

I bet hardly anyone would actually do it anyway. Just a possible way to get the site an extra few bucks per month, if we're lucky. Most likely it would go unused, because nobody wants to pay real money, it might even be a waste of time for me to bother implementing the code to do it because I doubt anyone would go for it. But having it as an option might help ensure that PIOTW can pay for itself forever, that's the main reason I'm considering it.
Go to Top of Page

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  10:43:06    Reply with Quote
I understand now.Ages of some players might have an affect on this as well. Some are possibly teenagers and some retirees. Honestly,in my opinion,I think it depends on how competitive a player is and wants to be. Thanks for clarifying.
Go to Top of Page

lovealphonso

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
146 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  12:27:39    Reply with Quote
HAPLO IS AWESOME !!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

farah111

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
269 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  12:26:05    Reply with Quote
At the moment the first gamer buys gold you would have to erase the Gold-Ladder-Chart
Go to Top of Page

peterre

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
187 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  04:37:33    Reply with Quote
It's very nice that Haplo has ideas , i like it, because he makes this all possible for us , maybe i buy gold too :) , i hope that Haplo make more tower defender games with high scores , that's my passion, for the rest Haplo .....thnanx for all your work here , i played everyday a few games and i keeps that doing in the future . PS Haplo , David Scott is a TD programmer from many TD games like Flash Circle TD , i played it here with high score , that's super , but he has make more , you have a few here without high score function , i hope you can make that :) , greetings to ALL players here.
Go to Top of Page

lovealphonso

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
146 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  04:32:10    Reply with Quote
Hi Peterre ! Greetings to you as well
Go to Top of Page

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  14:13:24    Reply with Quote
Haplo,hope you are reading the latest
Go to Top of Page

haplo

L90 Legend
Administrator
608 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  14:16:27    Reply with Quote
Yep I am.
Go to Top of Page

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  14:18:22    Reply with Quote
cool
Go to Top of Page

lovealphonso

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
146 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  16:50:38    Reply with Quote
I think Haplo is doing a GREAT JOB on this site !!!!
Go to Top of Page

saucyone

L99 Legend
Forum Regular
582 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  17:24:22    Reply with Quote
Yes, he's incorporating new challenges..some people don't like change,but sometimes it's necessary to move forward..I have and always will support him.
Go to Top of Page

jonnyfingers

L99 Legend
Forum Participant
143 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  18:39:25    Reply with Quote
Great that you all give suggestions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly